Why do men have an advantage in the business world?

Why do men have an advantage in the business world?

| Nov 30, 2020 | Workplace discrimination |

Women recently set a record as CEOs of Fortune 500 companies. There have always been more men in these roles, but the group of female leadership has expanded as of late to record highs. There are now 33 female CEOS in Fortune 500 companies. 

This statistic is very telling for two reasons. First, of course, it shows that progress is being made. Women are edging closer to equality and getting more chances. Second, though, is the fact that 33 female CEOs means that a mere 6.6% of the total group is female, while the other 93.4% is male. It’s safe to say that men still have a massive advantage. Why is this?

History and discrimination

One reason for the “male advantage” is simply historical. Men have always tended to hold these positions. It wasn’t that long ago, in the 1950s and 60s, that many people felt only men should work and that women should stay home. We have largely moved beyond this outlook as a society now, but men are still far more entrenched, especially in leadership positions that tend to go to older men from this era. 

Unfortunately, another reason for the gap is discrimination. Many women find it harder to land jobs, harder to get promotions, harder to climb the corporate ladder and harder to make their way to a position like CEO. All things are not equal, even though women are a protected class as American workers and they have a right not to face this discrimination. 

What can you do about gender discrimination in the workplace?

Do you feel that you have been discriminated against at work because of your gender or for another reason? If so, don’t forget that you do have rights and legal options. An attorney can help you understand what steps to take next to best protect your interests.