Solving your employment Problems

About to be fired? Should you just quit, instead?

On Behalf of | Jan 22, 2021 | Employment law |

You’ve always said that you don’t want to be where you aren’t wanted — and it’s perfectly clear that your days are numbered at your job.

Should you just quit instead of waiting to be ushered out the door? Probably not. Here are the things you need to consider:

Quitting leaves you without a number of resources

Unless you have another job already lined up, you could be out of work for a while. Quitting will likely make you ineligible for unemployment benefits. More than likely, that’s your employer’s whole game plan: If they can’t fire you for a legitimate reason, they may hope to make you so unhappy or angry that you’ll walk out.

Staying gives you some time to prepare your exit

You already know that your departure isn’t likely to be pretty even if you do wait until your boss finally fires you, so use this time to prepare:

  • Start looking for a new job. It’s sometimes easier to find a job when you already have one. You can easily (and understandably) ask potential employers not to contact your current manager during the hiring process and there are no gaps in your resume to explain.
  • Pack up everything you may need once you are gone. Discreetly clean out your desk of anything you may want to take with you, just in case you have to leave in a hurry. More importantly: Save any documents you have on your work computer that may be of personal value or professional interest. You may not have the chance to do these things if you’re fired.
  • Decide on the message you want to send your professional contacts. When the time comes, you want to carefully tailor your message to others that you’re available for work. You don’t want to send out a missive in anger that disparages your old boss or company (no matter how true).

If you believe that your boss is retaliating against you for some unethical, illegal reason or is acting out of discrimination, don’t lose hope: There are other jobs. There are also attorneys who handle just these kinds of cases.